Terry Scholars FRESHMAN Scholarship
The Traditional Terry Freshman Scholarship is awarded to freshmen students who are enrolling in the fall semester directly after graduating from a Texas high school and are working toward their first baccalaureate degree. All Terry Scholars show a potential for academic excellence, demonstrated leadership, and demonstrated financial need.
Eligibility – To be considered for the Terry Scholarship as an incoming freshman, a student must:
- Have demonstrated participation and leadership in community, school, or other organizations
- Be able to demonstrate financial need (Annual family income of less than $100,000 – subject to case-by-case review)
- Have strong academic abilities, as evidenced by grades and SAT/ACT scores.
- Be a 2019 graduate of a Texas high school or Texas home-school.
- Be willing to live on campus for at least the first year.
- Apply for admission to UTA as a full-time student for 2019-2020 no later than February 1, 2019.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA-eligibility for need based aid is not a requirement to receive the scholarship).
- Be admitted for Fall semester, full-time, for the purpose of completing an initial baccalaureate degree.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
Application Process – Completed applications are composed of the following:
- Applications. Students must submit an application to the University of Texas at Arlington, and to the Terry Foundation Scholarship Program @ UTA by February 5, 2019. Note: The Terry Foundation does not accept applications directly from students; applications must go through the University application process. You can find the application packet on UTA’s Terry Scholar website at http://www.uta.edu/terryscholars
- The packet will be uploaded through this web site. You will need to log in with your UTA NetID. If you do not know it, please contact your admissions counselor for assistance.
- Upload the completed application packet, including the two essays. The packet is available for download from the http://www.uta.edu/terryscholars website.
- Submit the names and contact information for the two individuals who will be supplying a letter of recommendation. At least one of your letters should be written by one of your core subject teachers (English, math, history, science, language). Both letters should speak to your academic and leadership abilities.
Interview with the Foundation:
Terry Scholarships are not awarded without a satisfactory interview. If you are invited to interview for the scholarship, the Foundation will reimburse expenses for candidates traveling from greater than 60 miles from the interview site. Final selections will be made in the week following the interviews, with new Scholars being notified within the month.