Barbara Jordan Scholarship Fund
College of Liberal Arts. The Barbara Jordan Scholarship was established in 2005 by the Greater Arlington/Mansfield Democratic Women. Barbara Jordan, the first woman elected to the Texas Senate and the first African-American elected to represent Texas in the U.S. House of Representatives, supported public education, decent housing, civil rights, gender equality, a living wage and protection of the environment. The scholarship is designed to provide financial assistance to students who meet specific criteria:
- Junior or Senior classification when they receive the award, students may apply while they are sophomores. Students must take a minimum of 12 hours a semester for the life of the award.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Declared major in political science, history, or sociology
- Leadership potential
- Demonstrated financial need according to financial aid guidelines following submission of FAFSA
- Full time status.
Application materials shall include a recommendation letter from two faculty, a short essay describing the applicant’s goals, a statement of career/social/personal interests; a vita/resume showing academic and community service achievement; and an essay response to one of the following:
- What do you consider to be Barbara Jordan’s most significant political and social achievement?
- How did she effect political change in the US?
- How has her life and accomplishments influenced you?
Additional letters of recommendation may come from employers and/or community leaders.
*A student who receives this award may reapply one time.