Gary D. Harl Memorial Scholarship
College of Liberal Arts – Criminology and Criminal Justice The Gary D. Harl Memorial Scholarship was begun in the 1970s at the University of Texas at Arlington through generous gifts from family, alumni and friends in memory of Officer Gary D. Harl, an Arlington police officer killed in service to the community. This award commemorates his positive influence on UTA students and the Arlington community, while providing financial assistance to students in the criminal justice program at UTA.
Major in Criminology and Criminal Justice
• Police officers working on patrol or desire to become a police officer
• Junior or senior standing
• 3.0 GPA overall and in CRCJ
• Carrying a minimum of nine (9) hours in criminal justice
• Indicate a real desire in pursuing a law enforcement career
Write a letter of acknowledgment to the Harl Family about the recipient’s need and appreciation of the scholarship when awarded.
• Additional preference will be given if the student is active in community service programs and/or active in departmental, university or other student organizations related to the discipline of criminology/criminal justice at the University of Texas at Arlington.
• List school, work or community activities in which you have been involved.
• Include any honors and awards you have received