G. Irene and Fernando G. Torgerson Graduate Studies Advancement Fund
In order to fund high-achieving, exceptionally capable Honors students to UT Arlington graduate programs, the Honors College offers this competitive graduate degree fellowship to current Honors College seniors as well as Honors College alumni who graduated no more than three years before they enroll in a graduate program at UT Arlington.
Fellowship awards are made for $4,000 per semester for up to four consecutive semesters in any master’s or doctoral degree program. Awardees must be enrolled as full-time graduate students beginning coursework in Fall 2023 or Spring 2024. If enrolled less than full-time in their final semester of graduate study, students may receive a prorated award. The award of an Honors Bridge to Graduate School Fellowship does not preclude other financial aid. However, a student will not simultaneously receive the G. Irene and Fernando G. Torgerson Graduate Studies Advancement Fund and the University Scholars Endowment. Funds will be disbursed to student accounts for the 2023-2024 academic school year.
To be eligible, the applicant:
- must have completed the Honors degree at the time of application or be on track to complete it, as certified by both their Senior Project mentors and Honors advisers.
- must have received his or her UT Arlington Honors degree no more than three years (Summer 2019 or thereafter) before enrolling in the intended graduate program.
- must have applied for admission to a UT Arlington graduate program no later than May 1, 2023.*
- must have a conferred bachelor’s degree to be eligible to receive funding.
*Note: The scholarship award is contingent upon admission to a UT Arlington graduate program. Applicants who are not admitted to their intended graduate program will not be eligible to receive the fellowship.
Students who are already enrolled in UT Arlington five-year bachelor’s/master’s degree programs are eligible to receive this fellowship if their bachelor’s degrees are conferred before beginning full-time graduate work. Students whose bachelor’s and master’s degrees are conferred at the same time may apply the award toward a UT Arlington doctoral program.
The Bridge to Graduate School Fellowship cannot be applied toward a second master’s degree.
Typically, funding of this fellowship will begin in the fall semester. There is one cycle per year, with a spring application deadline. Thus, a student who wishes to begin graduate work in a spring semester must have met the application deadline for the previous spring semester.
The Bridge to Graduate School Fellowship is renewed on a semester-by-semester basis; continuation is contingent upon the maintenance of a 3.2 cumulative GPA and full-time enrollment each fall and spring semester.
In addition, Honors students may be eligible for advanced admission notice and exemption from the GRE, depending on the graduate program. Honors seniors are encouraged to consult the graduate advisers in their prospective departments as well as the Honors College advisers for further guidance.
Applicants who do not meet the criteria will not be considered.
- Honors College
- Supplemental Questions
- In which semester did you/will you complete your Honors undergraduate degree at UT Arlington?
- Enter the title of your Honors Senior Project.
- Have you applied to a UTA graduate program?
- If you have applied to a UTA graduate program, have you been accepted? If no, expected notification date?
- In which semester do you intend to begin your graduate program at UTA?
- To which graduate program are you applying?
- Do you plan to apply for financial aid (by submitting a FAFSA) for 2023-2024?
- List all scholarships, grants, and fellowships you have been awarded for the 2023-2024 academic year.
- List any additional sources of funding (e.g. parents, work, loans, etc.) that will be applied toward funding your education and the approximate amount for each one.
- Please upload your résumé (2-page maximum). It should include your employment, community service, involvement on and off campus, and any honors/awards. Especially note any experience (e.g. research, internships, etc) relevant to your intended program of study. Please do NOT list your class schedule or professional references. **DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME ON THIS DOCUMENT!**
- Submit a 1-page single-spaced essay (12 pt font, Times New Roman) explaining: (***DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME IN THIS DOCUMENT***)
- Upload proof of acceptance to your prospective graduate program. If you have not yet been accepted, please provide proof of application.
- Provide the name and email of your Senior Project mentor. An email will be sent to them with instructions to upload a letter of recommendation.
- Provide the name and email address of a second UTA faculty member (not e.g. teaching/graduate assistants) who will submit a letter of recommendation. An email will be sent to him/her with instructions to upload the letter.
- Show 9 more