O'Neill Graduate Teaching Assistant Award in English
College of Liberal Arts – English The GTA scholarship selection committee will select the winner based on grades, submitted essay, academic accomplishments, professors’ solicited or unsolicited testimonies, and their own experience.
To determine the winner of the Teaching Award, the Director of Freshman English will examine student evaluations and identify those graduate teaching assistants who have particularly excellent evaluations.
These graduate teaching assistants need to submit:
1. A brief statements on their philosophy of teaching or pedagogy (500-750 words or so)
2. A sample of an assignment or activity with a brief rationale (500 words at most) or description of how and why you use this
3. Fall student evaluations and a brief response (no more than 500 words) to these evaluations
4. Your current CV
The members of the scholarship selection committee will consider the candidates’ student evaluations, syllabus and written statements, along with their own experience with the graduate teaching assistants, and the department’s curriculum, and select the winner.
The Graduate Faculty will be asked to nominate their most outstanding student who is a graduate teaching assistant.
The students with the most nominations will be asked to submit:
1. Your current CV that includes your academic record including publications, presentations, offices in learned organization and other professional awards or service.
2. A copy of your best writing sample (published/in-the works article, seminar paper, dissertation chapter, etc.) one that you believe might help the committee arrive at an equitable choice.